This volume deals with two types of RE schools established in the BEF, they were: School of Instruction – For OCs and 2ICs of Field Units, first started in the winter 1916-17; and Training School – For all ranks of the Royal Engineers, later opened to officers and NCOs of Pioneer battalions, formed early in 1917. There were two ‘Schools of Instruction’, one at Le Parcq, the other at Blendecques. The staffs consisted of a Commandant (Lt Col), two instructors (Majors) and a QM. Classes were 40 strong and the course were at first of ten days duration, later extended to three weeks. The ‘Training School’ was at Rouen, RE Base Depot and ran different types of courses and an appendix gives the daily syllabus for the Construction course for regular RE officers (36 days). One of the plates has a detailed drawing of the school showing all the facilities.The text describes all the subjects taught and explains the photos and the plates.
WORK OF THE ROYAL ENGINEERS IN THE EUROPEAN WAR 1914-1918: Schools
Description of two types of RE schools formed in France with details of subjects taught at each. Contemporary photos and plates with drawings including detailed plan of the main school at Rouen.