Trent, in the south-east corner of Derbyshire, was a station without a town, its position and importance as an interchange junction for five main railway routes, through the plethora of junctions, served London, Birmingham, Derby, Chesterfield and Nottingham. Remarkably enough, trains could depart from opposite platforms, in opposite directions but to the same destination. There was also the constant procession of coal trains off the Erewash Valley line from the nearby Toton marshalling yard. Also featured is the Derby Friargate to Nottingham Victoria, the Great Northern Railway line, and the former Great Central route, along with scenes at Saxby where the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, mainly single track line diverged, running via Bourne to East Coast resorts. Finally, there are scenes at Grantham, where changing engines in 1954 was the order of the day. Locomotives are photographed at work, at rest and awaiting a call for scrap.
STEAM IN THE EAST MIDLANDS AND LINCOLNSHIRE A Pictorial Journey
The photographs in this volume of Steam in the East Midlands and Lincolnshire cover an area beginning at Derby Headquarters of the Midland following the Midland line to Nottingham and its environs, pausing at locations en-route.