The 50th Infantry Division was an infantry division of the British Army that saw distinguished service in the Second World War. The division served in almost all of the major engagements of the European War from 1940 until late 1944 and also served with distinction in North Africa, the Mediterranean and Middle East from mid-1941 to 1943. The 50th Division was one of two British divisions (the other being the 3rd Infantry) to land in Normandy on D-Day, 6 June 1944, where Leading elements landed on Gold Beach on 6th June with the whole Division ashore on 7th June entering Bayeux the same day. It took part in the battle for Tilly-sur-Seulles, 12th–15th June, with heavy fighting against the Panzer Lehr Division. By 21st June, the Divisional casualties were 312 officers and 3,662 other ranks, the heaviest for any Division in Normandy up to that point. It remained heavily engaged and, by the end of the campaign, the casualty list had reached 474 officers and 6,156 other ranks. In the In the break-out at the end of the Normandy Campaign, the Division reached Amiens on 31st August.
Four men of the division were awarded the Victoria Cross during the war, more than any other division of the British Army during the Second World War.
The two Ts in the divisional insignia represent the three main rivers of its recruitment area, namely the rivers Tyne, Tees and Humber.
PATH OF THE 50th The Story of the 50th (Northumberland) Division in the Second World War 1939-1945
This is a very valuable history of the 50th (Northumberland) Division in the Second World War. The division fought in France, North Africa, Sicily, and took part in the D-day landings, finally ending the war in Holland. illustrated with photographs and maps.