Inspired by Sir Henry Lawrence, the legendary defender of Lucknow in the Indian Mutiny, the Corps of Guides, a combined infantry and light cavalry unit composed of local Pathans was formed in 1846 specifically for service on the wild and mountainous Northwest frontier. Commanded in its heyday by Gen. Sir Harry Lumsden, the Guides fought in almost every campaign on the Afghan border, and performed heroically in the suppression of the Mutiny. During the Great War, two more infantry battalions were added to its strength. This full and readable history has a clear narrative supported by maps and fine quality illustrations. It is an exemplary history of a unit that was in ‘at the sharp end’ from its formation.