Originally conceived as a bold and imaginative surprise stroke to get around the stalemate of the trenches and attack Germany through the back door of her Turkish ally, the Gallipoli campaign became a byword for bungling incompetence as well as for the bravery and horrendous conditions endured by both sides. This second, concluding volume of the Official History tells the story from May 1915 down to the evacuation of the embattled peninsular. It tells of the subsidiary landings once it was clear that the element of surprise had been lost after the initial invasion, and of the stubborn refusal of the High Command to abandon an enterprise in which so much had been invested. Ironically, after the bungled conduct of the campaign, the evacuation itself was a flawless example of a textbook operation that took the Turks completely by surprise.
All the 34 bound-in sketch maps (33 in colour) are present and correct.
Complete with the appendix volume to the second of the two-part Official History of the Gallipoli campaign, this contains appendices essential to understanding the fatally flawed campaign from May 1915 to the Allied evacuation.
List of the twenty appendices that are included in this volume.
1. Instructions and Orders issued by the 29th Division for Battle of Gully Ravine, 28th June, 1915
1.A. Turkish Counter-Battery Work at Helles
2. First Instructions from G.H.Q. to IX Corps for Suvla Operations
3. Final Instructions from G.H.Q. to IX Corps for Suvla Operations
4. IX Corps Orders for the Suvla Landing
5. IIth Division Order for the Suvla Landing
6. Composition and Principal Armaments of Naval Squadrons for August Operations
7. Orders for the Night Advance from Anzac and Capture of Sari Bair
8. Orders for Attack on Sari Bair , 8th August
9. Epitome of Orders issued by Vice-Admiral for Suvla Landing
10. IX Corps Order to 31st Brigade,7th August
11. First Report of General Stopford to G.H.Q., 7th August
12. 32nd Brigade Order for the Morning Advance, 8th August
13. IIth Division Orders for Attack on 9th August
14. Final Order for IIth Division Orders for Attack on 9th August
15. 32nd Brigade Orders for Attack on 9th August
16. G.H.Q. Instructions to Major General de Lisle
17. Lord Kitchener’s Instructions for GeneralSir C.C. Monro
18. Army Orders for Helles Evacuation
19. Naval Embarkation Orders, Helles Evacuation
20. VIII Corps Order for Helles Evacuation