Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 507 was formed in late 1943 using cadre provided from Panzer-Regiment 4 of the 13. Panzer-Division. In early 1944, it was sent to the Eastern Front, where it successfully participated in a number of defensive efforts as a mobile “fire brigade.” In early 1945, it was sent to Paderborn for reconstitution.There it was being refitted with the Tiger II, when it was hastily attached to SS-Panzer-Brigade “Westfalen” for the defense of the Paderborn area.Equi[pped with a wide variety of fighting vehicles, includng the Jagdpanther and the Jagdtiger, it successfully engaged American forces of the 3rd Armoured Divison southwest of Paderborn, before it was pulled further back to the east. One of the few combat losses of US general officers during World War II – Major General Rose, the commanding general of the 3rd Armoured Division – was in an engagement with the battalion.After losing the remainder of its tanks to combat activity or their forced transfer to SS forces, the battalion moved to Czechoslovakia, where it was again issued combat vehicles, includng the Hetzer tank destroyer, where it spent the final days of the war tryng to surrender to Western Allies. In the end, the battaion was handed over to Russian forces, where any of its members spent long years in Russian captivity.
Published by J.J. Fedorowicz Publishing, the Canadian publishing house that specialises in literature on the German armed forces of the World War II era. The press has received praise from North American and German writers for professionally produced text and illustrated books, also for providing a platform for authors who present an uncritical and historical portrayal of the German war effort during WW2.
Overseas clients please note: Due to excessively high wrapped weight shipping is weighted on this title.