The 2nd Ox and Bucks Light Infantry was originally raised at Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire by Lt. Col H.M. Williams, and was officially recognised on 26th September 1914. On February 1st the 2nd Bucks moved to Northampton, joining the South Midland Reserve Brigade, afterwards the 184th Infantry Brigade. Employed on Home Defence, the battalion performed duties including trench digging around Epping and Chelmsford. On 6th August, a year after the declaration of war, the battalion was inspected by Lord Kitchener himself. In May 1916, after being inspected by HM King George V, the battalion embarked for France, lading at Le Havre on May 25th and going into the trenches around Laventie. On July 19th the battalion took part in a disastrous diversionary attack near Estaires, designed to distract German attention from the ongoing battle of the Somme. The attack was a complete failure and all officers of the three attacking companies were killed or wounded. After new drafts of troops and fresh officers arrived, the battalion retrained in a quiet area before taking up front line positions again at the Butte de Warlencourt on the Somme just as the great battle was ending. The following year the battalion took part in the battle of Passchendaele (Third Ypres) again suffering heavy casualties. The battalion helped stem the German offensives in Spring 1918, before being amalgamated with other units which had suffered heavier losses. This complete history has tables of awards and a Roll of Honour.
2nd BUCKS BATTALION OXFORDSHIRE AND BUCKINGHAMSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY 1914-1918
The concise history of a service battalion of the Ox & Bucks LI which fought at Laventie in 1915, the Somme in 1916, Third Ypres (Passchendaele) in 1917 and in the 1918 Spring offensives before being amalgamated with other Bucks units. Awards and Roll of Honour complete this Battalion history.